Employee Benefits & Featured News: How to build employee benefits confidence According to a study by Lincoln Financial Group's 2017 Employee Bene
Employee Benefits & Featured News: How to build employee benefits confidence
According to a study by Lincoln Financial Group’s 2017 Employee Benefits Study, nearly half of employees – 44 percent – say they have never felt confident about their benefits choices.
Employers can help build benefit confidence
Just 31 percent of employees feel very “in control” of their financial futures, and just 33 percent feel very “in control” of their health. Without the right protections in place, this can be a dangerous combination financially. Health issues can have major financial implications – particularly if an employee already feels a lack of financial security.
In the same vein, 60 percent of employees are worried about the loss of household income due to an unexpected illness or injury, and 70 percent are worried about healthcare expenses. Sixty percent are simply worried about paying their bills.
Workplace benefits provide supplemental coverage that can help guard against these fears. Employees just need help understanding their benefit options. Lincoln’s research finds that most employees – 87 percent – are more likely to enroll in benefits if they feel familiar with them.
Three key benefit communication tips for employers
Today, only 26 percent of employees say their employer is “very proactive” in helping them understand their benefits. During open enrollment season and beyond, employers can consider these three tips:
1. Communicate simply and consistently.
- Most employees – about 60 percent – would prefer to receive benefits information year-round. Open enrollment time can be overwhelming, and employers can build knowledge with a steady stream of education throughout the year.
- When communicating, use a simple four-point formula to answer the questions employees want answered, as outlined in Lincoln’s whitepaper: (1) How much does it cost? (2) What’s covered? (3) What or how much do I need? (4) What’s the benefit?
2. Take a multi-channel approach, including personalized guidance.
- Seventy-two percent of employees say they would prefer personal recommendations on benefits, rather than general advice. Today’s benefit technology systems and tools can help with a personal touch. And employees are ready for it: 73 percent are open to trusting an online system to help them choose their benefits.
- Remember to promote online tools and calculators for employees, which are often available from insurance carriers. These tools can provide an employee with insights specific to their individual situation. Additionally, it’s a “quick win” for the employer and requires little time investment.
- If going the traditional route, employers can offer in-person meetings, one-on-one calls or webinars to provide guidance.
3. Focus on the motivations behind benefit decision-making, and create messages based on employees’ needs.
- Develop a straightforward survey that asks employees to identify the emotions, values and motivators in their lives. This can unlock insights into employees’ hearts and minds, and can help shape communications.
“Employers spend a lot of time, money and energy on crafting benefits packages,” said Mucci, “And the next step is making sure all that work goes to good use by helping employees build the knowledge they need to choose their benefits with confidence.”
About Lincoln Financial’s 2017 Employee Benefits Study
Results are based on a national survey of 2,500 employed adults, conducted in 2017 by Lincoln Financial Group and PSB. Data is weighted to reflect the proportion of U.S. employees by gender, age, region, race and ethnicity based on data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the U.S. Census Bureau. The margin of error is ± 2% at the 95% confidence interval.
Incentive and Motivation offers the latest news in employee benefits, rewards, incentive programmes and recognition. Discover the best employee engagement platform, learn about communicating your incentives or the latest tech in the HR space. Popular posts:
- Understanding motivation and incentives in the workplace
- How to align incentives with your business goals
- The importance of incentives
- Using incentives to win new business
- Creative rewards for employees
- Rewarding employees without cash
- How to reward employees for a job well done
- Rewarding in a global business
- Employee incentive program examples