The race has started, will you get all your shopping done in time for Christmas? Officeology has asked a poll of 1,000 respondents in the UK with part and full-time jobs:
“In the run up to Christmas, how often do you do online shopping and/or browse during work hours?”
|1-2 times a week||24%|
|3-4 times a week||21%|
|When I’m not busy||16%|
|When the boss or a colleague isn’t looking||2%|
- 77% of workers admit to online shopping during work hours with almost 1 in 4 shop online at least once a week.
- Whilst more than 1 in 10 admit to online shopping everyday during these times.
Higher managerial roles and directors of medium or large companies (50+ people) are more likely to spend their workday online shopping (90%). In fact, 1 in 4 respondents in this role admit to online shopping every day in the run-up to Christmas – more than any other profession.
And these are the regions where employees spend the most time online shopping during work hours…
|Yorkshire & The Humber||71%|
- 90% of Scots online shop during their shift – more than any other region.
- Londoners rank close second with 89% of employees admitting to setting time aside to shop.
Finally, we inquired on what Secret Santa gift people really want to receive this year…
|Food (e.g. chocolate, hamper)||37%|
|Candle or wax melts||31%|
|Money (e.g. Budget send back in card)||30%|
|Beauty products (eg. perfume, make-up)||30%|
|Bath products (eg. bath bombs, gift sets)||24%|
|Gift for your pet||15%|
|Football team related gift||14%|
|Erotic toy (e.g. underwear, edible candy, blow up doll)||12%|
- Alcohol is the most wanted gift, with 2 in 5 people hoping to receive this under the office tree.
- Food gifts rank as a close second contender.
- Although people also wouldn’t mind the budget sent back to them in a Christmas card.
When considering budgets, the most popular response (34%) was £6-£10, whilst a quarter of respondents are happy to spend £11-£15 on a Secret Santa gift.
On the other hand, the worst Secret Santa gifts to receive are…
|Erotic toy (e.g. underwear, edible candy, blow up doll)||28%|
|Bath products (eg. bath bombs, gift sets)||27%|
|Football team related gift||22%|
|Candle or wax melts||20%|
|Beauty products (eg. perfume, make-up)||16%|
|Gift for your pet||13%|
|Food (e.g. chocolate, hamper)||13%|
|Money (e.g. Budget send back in card)||11%|
- Although joke presents often prove an easy get-out, perhaps avoid anything erotic this year – these rank as the worst gift amongst respondents.
- Bath related gift sets may also be an easy buy, but over a quarter (27%) of people say this is the second worst Secret Santa gift to receive.
- Surprisingly, football fanatics don’t want their team’s logo on any kind of merchandise either (22%).
41% of respondents said they enjoy taking part in Secret Santa, whilst 7% don’t enjoy it but take part anyway.